Functional Movement Screen
What is the Functional Movement Screen?
Put simply, the Functional Movement Screen (FMS) is a ranking and grading system that documents movement patterns that are key to normal function. By screening these patterns, the FMS readily identifies functional limitations and asymmetries. These are issues that can reduce the effects of functional training and physical conditioning and distort body awareness.
The FMS generates the Functional Movement Screen Score, which is used to target problems and track progress. This scoring system is directly linked to the most beneficial corrective exercises to restore mechanically sound movement patterns.
What are the benefits of the Functional Movement Screen?
The Functional Movement Screen (FMS) simplifies the concept of movement and its impact on the body. Its streamlined system has benefits for everyone involved – individuals, exercise professionals, and healthcare professionals.
Communication - The FMS utilizes simple language, making it easy for individuals, exercise professionals, and healthcare professionals to communicate clearly about progress and treatment.
Evaluation - The screen effortlessly identifies asymmetries and limitations, diminishing the need for extensive testing and analysis.
Standardization - The FMS creates a functional baseline to mark progress and provides a means to measure performance.
Safety - The FMS quickly identifies dangerous movement patterns so that they can be addressed. It also indicates an individual’s readiness to perform exercise so that realistic goals can be set and achieved.
Corrective Strategies - The FMS can be applied at any fitness level, simplifying corrective strategies of a wide array of movement issues. It identifies specific exercises based on individual FMS scores to instantly create customized treatment plans.
Who would benefit from a Functional Movement Screen?
The Functional Movement Screen is beneficial for the following individuals:
- Athletes looking to identify weakness and enhance performance.
- Athletes trying to prevent and avoid injury by addressing poor movement patterns that predispose the body to injury.
- Individuals that are starting an exercise program and aren’t sure where to start. (Don’t build strength on top of dysfunctional movement!)
- Individuals that are injured or that have recurring injuries that they can’t pinpoint a single trauma as the cause of their injury.
- People who want to move and feel better and ACHIEVE greater enjoyment out of their daily activities and hobbies.
How can I schedule my Functional Movement Screen?
We look forward to working with you to identify dysfunctional movement patterns that you may have and provide you with the corrective strategies that you need to move better!